Information for staff and students

Information about the University’s policies on driving vehicles, and the procedure to become an authorised driver of University owned or leased vehicles.

Authorised driver

To drive a University owned or leased vehicle you MUST be an authorised driver. To become an authorised driver you should complete the authorised driver form and present it to your local vehicle coordinator along with your original driving licence which will be checked online via to ensure you fit all criteria required to be an authorised driver.


If you do not have a vehicle coordinator in your school or department please contact the Transport and Parking Office.

Important points to consider

  • Those seeking to be an authorised driver must read and abide by the University's vehicle policy and Vehicle and Driver handbook.
University Vehicle Policy (517.53 KB / PDF)
  • Only employees or other persons, such as a registered student, researcher or visiting scholar, who have been authorised by their department, may drive a University vehicle.
  • You cannot be an authorised driver (and therefore cannot drive a University vehicle) if you have 9 or more points on your driving licence or a drink / drugs-driving conviction (eg DR10) within the past 5 years.
  • All authorised drivers must complete the online Safe Driving training course through the Cardinus System, which can be found here: Cardinus System
  • University owned vehicles must display a valid permit to park in University car parks. Various permits types and costs apply across the different areas of the University. Visit our Parking Permits.


The University has a comprehensive motor policy for any motor vehicle belonging to, hired by, or loaned to the University. A vehicle must be declared to the Insurance Office in order to be covered by the policy. Further information is available on the Insurance Office sharepoint.

Use of private cars on University business

The University's motor insurance policy does not cover any privately owned vehicle. Anyone using their own private car for University business should check that they have notified their insurers and that their cover includes "use for business purposes". In addition, employees using private cars on University business must ensure that their vehicles are maintained in a roadworthy condition as per the requirements of the Road Traffic Act.